nose blindness, bleach, AHP, Rescue Disinfectant, vet clinics, shelters, dogs, pets

3 Reasons Why Bleach May Not Be Your Best Option for use in Vet Clinics

Rescue Expert Blog

We praise veterinary clinics for treating our animals and contributing to their overall health. Did you know, however, that going to the vet may negatively affect your pet’s health from the cleaning products that are used?

Bleach

Bleach is a popular disinfectant that was invented in the 18th century and is still being used by the general public and health care professionals to clean and disinfect surfaces. Bleach releases a powerful and potent odor, alerting people to its use. A disinfectant that has been used to protect animals from viruses and bacteria may actually have adverse effects on our pets! It is time that we question the use of bleach. Using bleach in veterinary clinics and shelters, can irritate the skin and may cause nose blindness, specifically in dogs.

Nose Blindness

Dogs are incredible creatures that perceive the world around us differently than we do. While we identify objects through sight and touch, dog’s identify objects through their sense of smell. A dog’s nose is designed to not only intake smells independently through each nostril, but they have sixty million times more olfactory receptor cells than humans do, which helps dogs process scents. The olfactory system in the brain is, therefore, larger in dogs than it is in humans, allowing them to remember scents. While the smell of bleach triggers the impression of cleanliness for humans, it may overwhelm a dog’s senses, causing them to go nose blind. As dogs process the world around them through their sense of smell, nose blindness may cause them to no longer be able to understand their surroundings.

Corrosive Disinfectant

Bleach is not only potentially damaging to a dog’s senses, but it can have harmful effects on veterinary technicians and the surfaces around them. Chemicals that are corrosive, such as bleach, can corrode commonly used metals such as stainless steel… If stainless steel can be negatively affected by the recurring use of bleach, think about its effects on human skin and the sensitive skin on the paws of a dog’s feet! Rough, damaged surfaces can also pose a risk to further harming animals, causing a trip to the veterinary clinic to become a fearful experience for both pets and their owners.

Through the use of Accelerated Hydrogen Peroxide® (AHP®), Rescue® disinfectant is changing how veterinarians disinfect surfaces. By replacing disinfectant products, such as bleach, with AHP®, not only are practices able to destroy harmful pathogens but they can ensure that pets enjoy their time at the vet and that their equipment remains looking like new. To learn more about the benefits of AHP®, visit our website or contact our team.

Give Rescue a try! Order a free sample today.